July 24, 2020
Nothing is more magical than the birth of child, but when a baby enters this world too early or with serious health concerns, the magic is overshadowed by unimaginable fear.
Each year, up to 3,500 babies are born in the The Birth Place at Sanford USD Medical Center. Of those, more than 17 percent require a stay in the Sanford Children’s Boekelheide NICU.
While nothing can replace the healing touch of the medical staff, these caregivers also rely on ever-changing technology, machines and devices to care for their tiniest patients.
The Sanford Health Foundation recently launched the Sweet Dreams campaign to support lifesaving equipment and technology in both the Boekelheide NICU and The Birth Place, including:
- Giraffe OmniBed: Designed to mimic a mother’s womb, the Giraffe OmniBed surrounds critically ill and premature babies in a carefully controlled environment optimal for growth.
- Panda Warmer: By providing direct, comfortable heat, the Panda Warmer helps newborns transition after birth.
- NICVIEW camera system: With secure video streaming available around the clock, the NICVIEW camera system allows family members can virtually visit baby anytime, anywhere.
Caring for the tiniest miracles
Kailey and her twin sister, Breley, were so small at birth, each could lie in the palm of your hand.
Breley, who was even smaller than Kailey, passed away shortly after birth. Kailey spent five months in the Sanford Children’s Boekelheide NICU and has since undergone hundreds of procedures and hospital stays, often fighting for her life.
“People throw around the phrase ‘lifesaving,’ but these beds truly are lifesaving for micro-premies like our daughter Kailey,” said Terry Vandrovec, Kailey’s dad. “Her Giraffe OmniBed gave her a chance to survive.”
More about Kailey:
- Born at 24 weeks gestation
- Weighed just 1 pound, 6 ounces
- Spent 3 months in the Giraffe OmniBed
- 133 days in the NICU total
- Now 9 years old
Join the Sweet Dreams campaign
In just two minutes, you can help provide lifesaving equipment and technology to our tiniest patients or support another cause close to your heart. The Sweet Dreams campaign will help meet the needs of tomorrow and ensure every infant cared for in the Sanford Boekelheide NICU and The Birth Place at Sanford USD Medical Center benefits from the most state-of-the-art equipment possible for years to come.
If you are a Sanford employee, consider signing up to give automatically through your paycheck.