November 26, 2019
More than 100 bikers, committee members and volunteers came together for the first-ever Great American Bike Race (GABR) in Fargo on Nov. 16.
The inaugural stationary bike race raised $14,640, far exceeding the event’s $10,000 goal. Every dollar will benefit Children’s Miracle Network at Sanford Children’s Fargo.
Lots of heart
Johnny Taco from Froggy 99.9 motivated riders with fun music during the heats. The team costumes were amazing; riders raced as Troll Dolls, construction workers, Christmas elves, snow skiers and more.
To top the day off, GABR Star Scarlett Schneider, who was unable to attend in person, chatted with the crew through video.
Jenny Schaetz, a GABR committee member said she was blown away by everyone’s enthusiasm and positive energy.
“I think the best part about GABR was how everyone came together to benefit sick and injured children with the Children’s Miracle Network,” she said. “It was also great to see how many people were excited to get a team together again for next year.”
Team Beyond Boundaries, inspired by “101 Dalmations,” won the best theme award.
Here are the winners!
- The top individual fundraiser was Brian Schaetz with $625 raised, followed by Cory Shannon at $510 and Alex LaVoy at $475.
- The top fundraising team was Team Triforce at $1,480, followed by The Triking Trolls at $1,185 and Comstock Construction at $910.
- The fastest rider was Kent Orvik at 13.7 miles, followed by Frederick Kieley at 13.5 miles and Chelsea Thorson at 13.2 miles.
- The fastest team was SANFIRE at 73.3 total miles, followed by JLG Flying Buttress at 71.6 miles and Kartin’ for Kids at 68.5 miles.
- Team Beyond Boundaries won the best theme award, taking inspiration from “101 Dalmatians.”
- Team Triking Trolls earned the best spirit award.
Thank you to everyone who supported GABR, especially our friends at Doosan Bobcat, Comstock Construction, Inc., Sparklight, US Bank, Big Stone Therapies, Inc., Y94, Scheels, Mexican Village, Froggy 99.9 and Rahr Malting Co.
Missed your chance to give? You can still make a gift online at: gabr.sanfordhealth.org.